The Plymouth Park Soccer League Constitution
Due to the evolution of the league the constitution was revised in 2018 to better serve its members and supersedes any other documents of the league as of April 12, 2018.
Article 1 - Name
This Organization shall be knows as the “The Plymouth Park Soccer League” hereinafter referred to as the League.
Article 2 – Purpose/Vision
To keep kids active by safely enhancing and developing their skills through an affordable co-ed recreational league within the Niagara Region.
1. To provide an environment ensuring that all kids have fun.
2. To provide an environment in which soccer is promoted through improving skills and nurturing the appreciation and understanding of the game.
3. To provide an emphasis NOT on winning but rather good sportsmanship and fair play.
4. We are committed to instilling honesty, integrity and dignity within the League.
Article 3 - Membership
An active member shall be a person having served the league in one or more of the following capacities in the previous 365 days of the AGM
- Member of the Board
- Coaches or sub-committee members
- Parents/Guardians of registered players
Although an individual may qualify for more than one of the above categories, each individual holds only one membership in the league and is entitled to only one vote at member’s meetings.
- An Associate Member shall be any of the following:
- A Life Member shall be:
- Termination of Member in Good Standing:
- If the member submits a letter of resignation to the league with due cause
- If the member is no longer registered with the league
- Non-Confidence Ruling for Board Members
- Prior to any action being taken, the president will have a meeting with the board member whose conduct has been determined to have been improper, unbecoming, or which may endanger the interest or reputation of the League.
- The board member will sign a document acknowledging they have received the verbal warning.
- If the board member’s actions do not change, they may be removed from office, on a motion supported by two-thirds of the board,
- No member will be removed without being notified in writing of the charge of complaint against them and without having an opportunity to be heard by the board at a board meeting.
- A member may appeal the removal ruling by means of a written submission to the board within thirty (30) days of the meeting at which such a decision was made.
- Appeals shall be decided and answered within thirty (30) days of receipt of the appeal by the President or Vice-President.
Article 4 – Board Officials
The Executive Board of the league shall consist of the following: President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Vice-Treasurer. The board will consist of the Executive Board and as many Board members as is necessary for the efficient operation of the League.
- The number of Board Members will not be less than 10 or a maximum of 14 and all Board Members will be at least 19 years of age.
- The Board shall have charge of all League property, conduct all business on behalf of the League and shall have the power to decide on all matters not covered by the Constitution and/or Bylaws of the League.
- If any Board member position becomes available, the Board has the power to fill the vacancy for the remainder of the year until an election is held at the Annual General Meeting.
- Any member of the board must conduct himself/herself in a manner, which is considered honest, fair, and appropriate. This would include being a positive example and /or role model to other members, parents and players.
- A member of the board shall declare a conflict of interest and refrain from debating and voting on any business pertaining to an issue whereby he/she has a personal conflict, interest or involvement.
- If there are any immediate family members on the board, only one of those family members may hold an executive position.
- To avoid a conflict of interest, a board member cannot be a board member of a competitor’s organization.
- Board members shall not miss three consecutive meetings without due cause. In the event of said infraction the remaining members of the Board in good standing shall determine the standing of the offending member.
- Is the Chief Executive Officer of the League
- Shall represent the League in all matters of public interest. (eg. Newspaper Interviews, Political inquires etc)
- Shall create and server as a mediator for all conflicts and issues to all committees within the League.
- Shall call meetings of the Board.
- Is responsible for the agenda of the meetings and will forward a copy of the agenda no later than 7 days prior to the meeting.
- Shall have a vote but not a casting vote at all meetings of the Board.
- Shall be one of three people who have signing authority on The Plymouth Park Soccer League’s financial accounts.
- Sign all certified copies of acts of the organization. (insurance, city contracts etc)
- Shall, in the absence of the President, assume all duties of the President.
- In the event the President is unable to continue with the term, the Vice-President shall assume the position of President until the first meeting held after the Annual General Meeting at which time a new President can be appointed.
- Shall be liaison to all committees within the League
- The Secretary shall maintain a binder and/or an electronic copy in which the Constitution, published rules and minutes are kept and have the current record books available at each meeting.
- Maintain copies of all committee reports and furnish committees with those documents required to perform their duties.
- Shall take minutes of all meetings.
- Shall forward to all board members, a copy of the minutes no later than 7 days after the meeting.
- Shall be responsible for incoming and outgoing communication for the league such as email and phone calls.
- If the secretary is not present, a board member will take the minutes and be responsible for sending a copy out to everyone.
- Shall maintain and keep a roster of attendance at all board meetings.
- Shall maintain accurate records pertaining to the League and will turn over such books as necessary for the purpose of audit for Board perusal.
- Shall co-ordinate or oversee all purchases of the League.
- Shall create current, detailed monthly financial records and will provide a copy to all board members at every monthly meeting and the AGM.
- Shall, in the absence of the Vice-Treasure, assume all duties of the Vice-Treasurer
- In the event the Vice-Treasurer is unable to continue with the term, the Treasurer shall assume the roll/responsibilities of Vice-Treasurer until an election is held at the next Annual General Meeting.
- Shall be one of three people who have signing authority on The Plymouth Park Soccer League’s financial accounts.
- Shall maintain accurate records pertaining to the Canteen and will turn over such books as necessary for the purpose of audit or Board perusal.
- Shall co-ordinate or oversee all purchases for the Canteen.
- Shall create current, detailed monthly financial records and will provide a copy to all board members at every monthly meeting and the AGM..
- Shall, in the absence of the Treasurer, assume all duties of the Treasurer.
- In the event the Treasurer is unable to continue with the term, the Vice-Treasurer shall assume the roll/responsibilities of Treasurer until an election is held at the next Annual General Meeting.
- Shall be one of three people who have signing authority on The Plymouth Park Soccer League’s financial accounts
Non-Elected Positions or Committees
- Shall be any member of the league who volunteers to help out with or be in charge of various duties as required by the League.
- Sub-committees will be appointed by the executive if no one volunteers for the term of office for the calendar year.
Safety Council Director:
- Shall be certified in First Aid
- Shall be responsible for the safety of all players while involved in League play.
- Shall keep a record of any and all incidents resulting in injury during League play.
- Shall be responsible for the completion and filing of all documents as pertains to Insurance Claims if required.
- Shall administer first aid as required and/or seek medical attention as required for any injured member of the League.
- Shall make available to all coaches/referees first aid kits on all fields.
- Shall provide a written report outlining all injuries incurred during the soccer season at the Annual General Meeting.
- Will be responsible for all training and monitoring of all Junior/Senior Referees.
- Will be responsible for all scheduling of the referees.
- Liaison with Coaching Committee, and Disciplinary Committee about any problems arising with the league referees.
- Will sit as part of the disciplinary committee when the need arises and the issue affects the referees.
- Maintain a good line of communication between coaches so they are kept informed of all league issues.
- Offer assistance for teaching the skills of the game according to age divisions.
- Liaison with Referee Committee, and Disciplinary Committee about any problems arising with the league coaches.
- Will sit as part of the disciplinary committee when the need arises and the issue affects a coach.
Disciplinary Committee for Coaches, Parents and Players
- Will conduct investigation and report on all complaints and incidents that are detrimental to the well being of the League at the request of the Board.
- Will suggest appropriate actions or consequences for infractions of the Constitution & By-Laws of the League.
- Will meet as required under authority from the Board.
- Liaison with Referee Committee, and Coaching Committee about any problems arising within the League
- Any member may submit a grievance in writing to the Disciplinary Committee. The committee shall act on such requests within 15 days of the receipt of the grievance.
- Shall be responsible for soliciting sponsors to assist in keeping the leagues costs down.
- Shall be responsible for ensuring sponsorship payments are received.
Team Selection Committee:
- Shall be responsible for team selection for all divisions within the League.
- Shall be responsible for providing coaches up to date player information.
- Shall be responsible for planning the tournaments as outlined in the League’s Operational Manual.
- Shall be responsible for planning the Players Year End Banquet as outlined in the League’s Operational Manual.
- Shall be responsible for the creation of play schedules for the season and tournaments as outlined in the League’s Operational Manual.
- Encourage and show leadership to all players and parents within the League
- Encourage and show exceptional sportsmanship.
- Teach the skills of the game of soccer to the best of their ability in accordance to the age group.
- Follow the Rules and Code of Conduct of the League
- Refrain from causing dissension from The Plymouth Park Soccer League policies and procedures.
- Maintain a team list and emergency contact for each player.
- Maintain a good line of communication to the parents and players so they are kept well informed of League issues.
- Liaison regularly with the Coaching and Referee Committees.
Article 5 - Meetings
- The Board shall meet monthly and more often if deemed necessary. Date, start time and location to be determined by the Executive Board.
- Each Board member present shall have one vote and can only hold one proxy vote of absent board members.
- Quorum will be 2/3 of total board membership.
- The Secretary on instruction of the President may call a special meeting of the Board.
- A special meeting of the Board maybe called on with a receipt of a written request signed by three or more members of the board. The only business on the agenda will be that which is within the written request causing said meeting to be called.
Annual General Meeting:
- Shall be held once a year.
- Each active member shall have one vote.
- The member must be present at the meeting to vote.
- Notice of the AGM to be placed in the public media fourteen days in advance of the meeting date.
- Nomination of available Board positions will be accepted at the AGM. Order of Business at AGM:
- Roll Call and Acknowledgements
- Reading of minutes of the previous AGM
- Board and other Committee Reports
- President’s Report
- Unfinished Business
- Amendments to the Constitution
- Election of Officers
- New Business
Article 6 – Elections
- Board positions shall be elected for a two year term of office
- Positions start the first meeting after the AGM to the first meeting after the AGM their second year of office. This allows for information to be passed from existing board members to new board members.
- Elections shall occur in odd number years for President, Treasurer, & Board Members (minimum of 3)
- Elections shall occur in even number years for Vice President, Vice-Treasurer, Secretary, & Board Members (minimum of 3)
- The President’s position will be appointed by the board of Plymouth Park Soccer League at the first meeting held after the Annual General Meeting.
- Board members wishing to run for President shall have served on the board for a minimum of two current consecutive years. Refer to Ops Manual for more detailed qualifications
- Persons running for Vice-President and Treasurer shall have served on the board for a minimum of one year and is currently an active board member.
- In the event that there are still vacancies on the board, the Board Members shall have the power to recruit people to fill them.
- Positions for which nominations will be accepted shall be advertised on the league’s website at least 14 days prior to the AGM.
- There shall be separate elections by secret ballot for each available position.
- Only those persons who have met the criteria for nomination will be considered for a position on the Board.
Article 7 - Amendments to the Constitution:
- No amendment or alteration to the Constitution may be made unless notice is received in writing by the Secretary 7 days prior to the Annual General Meeting.
- Only active members of the league may submit amendments or alterations to the constitution
- Proposed amendments to the constitution must be posted on the league’s website at least 14 days prior to the AGM
- The Board may repel, amend or create from time to time the constitution of the League. Such changes shall have force until the next AGM at which time it must be voted on and approved or ceases to have force.
- Amendments to By-Laws may be made at Board meetings provided they are presented one month and voted on at the next meeting.
Article 8 – Fiscal Year
For the purchase of the league the financial year shall commence the first (1st) day of October and end on the thirtieth (30th) day of September the following year.